One of the important aspects of bringing your child to Baptism is the selection of Godparents. The process of choosing Godparents should be more than just looking for a friend or family member to "honor" with the title. Godparents are a very integral part in the Faith Life of your child. You should be careful when making this choice and make sure to choose someone who truly understands and lives the Catholic Faith. Here are some things to consider:
- A godparent must be a fully initiated Catholic (i.e., have received the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy Eucharist).
- You may have one or two godparents. If you have two, one must be male and one female.
- A godparent should be living the Catholic Faith by going to Mass weekly and Confession regularly.
- Must be over the age of 16 and not one of the parents.
- If married, it must be in a manner recognized and approved by the Church.
If you are unsure about the eligibility of someone you are considering to be a godparent, please call the parish office as soon as possible.