Sponsors for Confirmation, like Godparents, should be chosen with great care. Ideally, a Confirmation sponsor should be one of the Godparents from Baptism. In this regard, a Godparent has been part of the faith journey of the individual to be Confirmed and would be the perfect person to "sponsor" the person into the Church. So often when choosing a sponsor, a person selects a friend or family member without giving much thought to the spiritual qualities of that person. When choosing a sponsor, here are some things to consider:
- The Faith life of the person.
- The Sacramental practices (regular Confession and Mass attendance) of the person.
- The minimum requirements outlined by the Church. These requirements are:
- At least 16 years of age.
- Must already be Baptized and Confirmed.
- Cannot be one of the parents.
- If married, it must be in a manner recognized by the Church.
- Should not have any canonical penalties.
If you are unsure about whether or not someone is eligble to be a sponsor, contact the parish office as soon as possible.